Thursday 12 August 2010

Albanian bars and cable cars



Cows in road. Traffic. Eight hours to go.


Two bands in a bus. One of them is Tankus the Henge; trumpeter Jake Stoddart came out with this gem just now:


"I might fart with such ferocity that I blow my own insides out my arsehole"


Woke up yesterday and completely failed to understand the breakfast table. Mainly the idea of 'choose what sort of breakfast you want and eat it'. Bearing in mind there was olives, cheese, yoghurt, nesquik, melon, toast, egg, croissant, mousse and countless more ingredients. Instead of choosing a particular style of nourishment, there could be seen examples such as olives, egg, honey, toast and avocado, or nesquik and cheese and ham. Also, the waiters seem to play a version of roulette with tea. ie, if one asks for tea, one might recieve anything in a range from strawberry and vanilla to rosehip and camomile. After we discovered for some reason Cappuccino gets added to the bill as an extra, George swore blind that no-one in our party had had indulged in one, when in fact, it was him.


So we went up a mountain. In a glass box on a string. I didn't think I was afraid of heights until the last section of this cable car, (built by austrians) went over a ridge, then a lake, then after a bit of rock, proceeded to change direction, and almost go vertically up the cliff face. No one had clean pants I tell thee.


On our way up we saw a few concrete bunkers scattered around, on asking Clare what these were, we found out that in the 1970s, the dictator was so paranoid about everyone attacking Albania, that he built 700,000 of them all over the country for gunmen to sit in. No-one attacked it. I don't think many people even knew it was there.


After George, Mason and myself did a rather deep interview with a TV station in which I told Simon Cowell I didn't like him, and we rued the amount of crap there is in the British music scene, we played a show in the garden of the Rogner Hotel. This was the launch party of the tour we're doing with the Martin Harley band opening for us. As we were playing a few feet from a swimming pool I accidentally jumped into it at the end of Recurring Dream... Hang on, I have to interrupt my train of thought. The radio in the bus just played an advert for our gigs this week, I'll try and get a copy of it. It has a bit of Orange is the new black and lots of Albanian over the top. It's pretty funny. Apparently it's broadcast four times an hour.

So we're travelling to Sarande today, if you know where that is. it involves us going over a very high mountain pass. The second highest in the country. Luckily Edmund our driver is excellent, otherwise what with yesterdays cable car exploits we'll get through our underwear a lot quicker than expected.




The state of the guys in the band is questionable this morning. After local Raki, many Korca beers and a night of Jagermeister, some of them spend minutes on end staring into the middle distance while I casually document it all.