Tuesday 6 December 2011

Cereal Nights

So, lately I've been eating a lot of cereal.

Mainly because it's easy, and if you look hard enough, you can usually get a packet for about a quid. Tonight I'm eating Honey Waffles.
I'm pretty lazy in the kitchen. I can't cook very well because the "if at first you don't succeed" motto has never worked for me when food happens.
In fact, the only thing that I can create with regular success is bread. I'm probably more proud of that than most people would be.

I just got in from a great jazz gig which I almost missed, in Maida Vale. Nat Steele, Leon Greening, Luke Steele and Steve Brown playing bop in a venue which is slightly too trendy for the clientele that descend on a jazz gig. Maybe it was quirky once. The best quirky venues with old signs and rusty lanterns and grizzled barmen who haven't left for years eventually all get bought out and turned into gastro-pubs. Apparently that's happening with Positively 4th St too now.

I almost missed it because I'm still getting my sleep cycle back to normal after Tankus the Henge played Kingston on Thursday, then I drove us to Pembrokeshire, arrived at 6am, and went to sleep. Because we got up in the afternoon, played the gig, stayed up most of the night and then drove back to London, my body clock has gone awry. So tonight I woke up at 8pm, which is when the gig was starting, and jumped on the next train.

Still, it was a great gig and a regular Monday night gig (The Elgin, Maida Vale - 8pm).

A dude called Adam was going on to Ronnie's to play bass in a late night set there. Normally I would have gone along to that as well but I'm playing the piano tomorrow morning in Stockwell for someone's show and I haven't learnt any of the songs yet. I figured I should know the tunes if I want the guy to pay me.

I need that at the moment. I think if I hadn't found this cereal for the price it was, and gone with a more flamboyant one, I would be walking to Stockwell tomorrow.

Jaz

No comments: